So its the day after Christmas.. Aka St Stephens day or Boxing Day as my firends across the Irish sea call it. You are probably stuffed from the previuos days gorging on sweets,chocolates the big traditional dinner etc, etc. etc…
So why not give your St Stephens day morning a healthy and comforting start with this sweet potato hash. This nifty and very adaptable recipe can also be made with rooster potatoes and you can go mad by mixing things up by using rosemary or sage instead of thyme. Make sure to take the eggs just before they are done because they will continue cooking in the hot pan. You can also make this dish ahead – just cook everything up until the point of adding the eggs. Just cool in the pan and reheat and add the eggs when you’re ready!…
What You Need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes, ½” dice
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped plus more for garnish
- Salt / pepper
- 3 eggs
Let’s Get Cooking
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C.
- Warm oil over medium heat in a large cast iron skillet or sauté pan. Add onion and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until onions start to soften.
- Add the sweet potato, a big pinch of salt and pepper, and stir well to combine. Pour veggie stock over sweet potato mixture and cover.
- Cook over medium heat until sweet potatoes are fork tender, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove lid and cook for another 5 minutes or until the edges of the sweet potatoes start to get crispy. Using a fork carefully make 3 dents in the sweet potato mixture. Gently break 1 egg in each dent.
- Transfer pan to oven and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until eggs are just barely set.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and serve warm.
- Share This Recipe & let me know how you get on