So every week I get hounded to put this dish on the menu. A dish for the likes of today, here on the banks of the Blackwater river in West Waterford. Its raining, you know that good olde Irish cold, damp rain. So on with the cooker, out with the pots and time to make some heart warming, healthy and comforting Mac & Cheese , the vegan way. This simple dish will satisfy even the pickiest kids and also makes a mean, guilt-free after school indulgence.
Cashew Cheese Ingredients:
this can be made in advance……………..
1 cup raw cashews, presoaked in water overnight
¼ cup water
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 table spoon apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon sea salt
- Drain and rinse the cashews, then toss them into the blender (or food processor) with the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth. If pressed for time, soak cashews in warm water for about 30 minutes, then drain and rinse.
Mac ‘n’ Cheese Ingredients:
Sea salt, to taste
250g unsoaked gluten-free elbow pasta
Spring Onions (optional)
- Prepare the cashew cheese according to the recipe and mix with 2 teaspoons of turmeric. Set aside while preparing the pasta.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions.
- Drain the pasta, keep one cup of the pasta water, and return the cooked pasta to the pot.
- Gently stir the cheese sauce, adding the pasta water as needed until the sauce is as thick or thin as you’d like.
- Spoon the Mac ‘n’ Cheese into bowls and enjoy!
Let Me Know how you get on if you try it