Its just gone 1:30pm here in the what the call the sunny south east of Irleand. And its Monday again and after a long weekend of travelling to UK to watch what was one of the best fight shows, I have seen in a long time, its time to get back on it.
I can barley keep my eyes open at the minute, so onw or 2 mistakes may appear here. So I am after something quick and easy to make. All I had left in the cupboard and fridge was a tin of black beans, some stale bread, gluten free i may add and a few other bits and pieces.
And I love a love a good meatless burger, I don’t know why, I just love them. It doesn’t mean I don’t also love big, juicy meat burgers & it certainly doesn’t mean I’m going to start making the kids drink shots of wheat grass juice every morning. Also when I put these Bad Boys on my menu at www.rbkfreshfitfood.com they sell out PDQ (pretty dam quick)
So off with you now to the kitchen and Lets Get Cooking
What You Need:
- 2 cans Black Beans
- 1 cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs (gluten free)
- 1/4 cup Grated White Onion
- 1 whole Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Salt And Pepper
- 8 slices Swiss Cheese
- Olive Oil, For Frying
- 4 Good Hamburger Buns ( I use our local Waterford Blaa)
- Lettuce Or Other Greens
- Sliced Tomato
Lets Get Cooking:
- Drain, but do not rinse, the black beans.
- Place them in a bowl and use a fork to mash them. Keep mashing until they’re mostly broken up, but still have some whole beans visible.
- Add the breadcrumbs (I use gluten free Bread) onion, egg, chili powder, salt, pepper
- Stir until everything is combined, then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat.
- Form the bean mixture into burgers slightly larger than the buns you’re using (the burgers will not shrink when they cook.)
- Place the burgers in the pan and cook them about 5 minutes on the first side.
- Flip them to the other side, place 2 slices of cheese onto each patty, and continue cooking them for another 5 minutes, or until the burgers are heated through. (Place a lid on the pan to help the cheese melt if needed.)
- Toast the buns/blaa’s. Spread them with mayonnaise and ketchup, I use my own homemade sweet chili jam, then place the burgers on the buns. Top with lettuce and tomato, then what are you waiting for.. Eat!
I’m all about solutions, people……..
Grate your onion into the mix. I love grating onion whenever I want the flavour of onion, but don’t want big chunks of onion getting in the way of my meal.
As ever please let me know how you get on..Till Next Time, Happy Cooking