I know, I know, it has been a while since I posted a recipe, but things such as life has gotten in the way and changes are coming. I am just back from 6 days in Los Angeles, where I attended a conference and spent an afternoon feeding 1800 people living on skid row.. Now back to giving you a recipe
As my family and friends know all to well, I hate wasting food, and I am sure like you, I am always looking for new ways to use up left overs… Well here is one way if you have left over mashed veg and cooked quinoa in the fridge this recipe will take you 5 minutes to prep and about 8-10 minutes to cook. Dinner in 15 – WIN WIN!
What You Need:
- 2 cups mashed vegetables (you could also mash left over roast veg)
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1 egg
- 1 heaped handful coriander or parsley leaves, torn
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder or flakes
- 1 heaped tbsp ground flaxseed
- A good pinch of sea salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut oil, for frying
Let’s Get Cooking
- Place a large frying pan on the stove, medium heat and allow to warm.
- In a bowl combine all of your ingredients, except for the coconut oil. If your mixture is too wet add some more quinoa flour – you need to be able to roll the fritters into balls in your hands. Flatten the balls as I have in the photo.
- Add a heaped teaspoon of coconut oil to your hot pan. Carefully place your fritters into the pan and allow to cook for approximately 4-5 minutes on one side or until turning a lovely golden brown. Carefully turn the fritters over and cook for a further 4-5 minutes on the other side.
- Serve as is or with a crisp fresh salad. A spoon of homemade relish is always a great addition.
Note: Go mad with any herbs and spices you lean towards. Cumin or smoked paprika would be a lovely addition, well for me anyway. If you would prefer to omit the egg, you can use a ‘chia egg’ or ‘flax egg'(you can get these in any good health store) The ground flax will also help keep the fritters together in the pan.
What’s your favourite fritter mix?