When I go out…. Yea you know that song from The Proclaimers……. It has been going round and round in my head all evening. Please don’t ask me why. So tomorrow, when I go out, I am going out to buy me the ingredients for my easy peasy cheesy courgette gratin.
It’s cheesy and creamy, super easy to throw together, and the perfect low carb side dish for your keto diet! Yep I have been challenged to come up with some dishes for my wife, who know wants to follow a Keto diet. Here in the southeast of Ireland, those on a ketogenic diet are pretty limited to choice.
While I would be perfectly happy throwing some Cheesy Cauliflower Puree and chopped ham in a bowl for myself and calling it dinner (which I do a lot) – my wife won’t touch anything that has cauliflower in it with a 10 foot pole. “I love gratin, she said…. Cool me some gratin she said”
So, here is my first dish and recipe for you to try. It’s easy peasy, its cheesy and creamy, to throw together, and the perfect low carb side dish for your keto diet!
Easy Cheesy Zucchini Gratin – the perfect wife pleaser keto side dish recipe!
What You Need:
- 4 cups sliced raw courgette
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup double cream
Let’s Get Cooking:
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees (C)
- Grease a 9×9 or equivalent oven proof pan.
- Overlap ⅓ of the courgette and onion slices in the pan, then season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Repeat two more times until you have three layers and have used up all of the zucchini, onions, and shredded cheese.
- Combine the garlic powder, butter, and heavy cream in a microwave safe dish.
- Heat for one minute or until the butter has melted. Stir.
- Gently pour the butter and cream mixture over the zucchini layers.
- Bake at 170 degrees (C) for about 45 minutes, or until the liquid has thickened and the top is golden brown.
Serve & Enjoy
As always let me know how you get on….