How do you make a Spinach & Ricotta Lasagne suitable for a vegan….. Okay who was the wise guy who said “leave out the ricotta”… Yea I can hear the wise crack answers all the way in the back end of West Waterford , Ireland
No you don’t leave out the ricotta, rather you make a ricotta substitute. And in doing so I have actually found another use for the stuff called tofu. Using tofu makes a cholesterol-free lower-fat ricotta cheese substitute that is 100% vegan and dairy-free!
My simple yet convincing ricotta cheese substitute is made with fresh garlic and shallots for plenty of savoury flavour, with a bit of nutritional yeast and lemon for a cheese-like taste. This ricotta cheese replacement is dairy-free, egg-free and cholesterol-free, and it is also gluten-free.
What You Need:
- 200g tofu (firm)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon shallot (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Let’s Get Cooking:
- Press the tofu through a potato ricer into a large bowl. If you don’t have a potato ricer, mash the tofu with your hands until crumbly.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. It should be the consistency of ricotta cheese.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups tofu ricotta “cheese”.
I use this recipe in my own Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna