Winter is here… Ok please excuse the Game of Thrones, tagline, but it is appropriate in this case! In the last week we have moved from “Oh it’s a little crisp, I don’t need a jumper, to “My goodness, where did we store that second duvet?
Winter is most definitely here, and while we are feeling as cold here on the sunny south east as some of our northern towns, it is getting colder.
I couldn’t think of a better way to enjoy the colder months than relaxing in front of a log fire, staring at the flames after eating myself into a comfort food coma… But comfort food doesn’t necessarily mean ‘bad’ food. I love the challenge winter brings of turning the traditional ‘naughty’ food we love to eat into something healthy and nourishing for the body and soul, without encouraging too much winter weight gain! I’ll share my favourite healthy winter indulgences with you here, but seriously I wish ‘Wonka Vision’ had been invented and I could give you a taste of these- I know you wouldn’t feel like you were missing out!
Hot Drink Heaven
There’s nothing like sipping on a hot drink in winter. Not only do hot drinks delight the taste buds, your hands and tummy also get the liquid equivalent of a warm hug! Avoid the nasties that often crop up in hot drinks such as dairy and refined sugar. I always choose non-dairy milk and use a natural sweetener such as raw honey or coconut palm sugar if needed. Here are my winter drinks of choice!
- Chai tea with coconut milk and raw honey
- Organic turmeric chai tea with almond milk and raw honey
- Hot chocolate made with raw cacao, coconut palm sugar and hazelnut milk (tastes like Nutella!)
- Fresh ginger, turmeric and lemon tea with raw honey
- Immune boosting herbal tea with elderberry, Echinacea, eucalyptus, and elderflower
- Energy boosting herbal tea with liquorice and peppermint
I love to make up delicious warming meals during winter. Although I tend to still have a green shake during the day, by evening I am ready for some cooked nourishment. My favourites include:
- Thai pumpkin soup with coconut cream and chilli, and spelt toast with coconut oil for dunking
- Indian nourishing Chana Masala l cooked with quinoa
- Mexican refried black beans cooked with onions, piled high with loads of fresh salads, salsa and cashew sour cream, scooped up by organic corn chips
- Mushroom pasta made with raw mushroom, brown rice noodles
- Slow cooked vegetable curries with moong flour pancakes for scooping
- Healthy chippies! Slices of organic sweet potato, carrot, courgette, parsnip and onions, baked until crispy with coconut oil, sea salt, pepper and dried Italian herbs
I hope this blog inspires you to get creative in the kitchen and satisfy your winter cravings without having to worry about the waist line. One of my pleasures in life is definitely food
RBK Fresh Fit Food from RossB Kitchen is the easiest way to fill your fridge with fresh, delicious and nutritious chef prepared meals weekly, check out our menu for next week and get your orders in before 10 pm Thursday.
I get it, not many people plan their food shop weeks in advance and you want to receive your order within a few days of ordering. Each meal is still freshly made to order using locally sourced ingredients ensuring you get the highest quality chef-prepared healthy food using local produce where possible.
Want to shed a few pounds or give your gut a good cleanse for the upcoming Christmas party season? why not combine our 9 day cleanse with 7 of our meals, and drop a size.
I’d love to help you change your diet, change your health and change your life! Happy eating!