Khao Soi is a lush aromatic Coconut Curry Noodle Soup that has its origins in Northern Thailand. Super easy to make and is easily adapted to be made with w/ either prawns, crispy tofu or vegan friendly and is totally gluten-free.
It’s what I call a “bish, bash, bosh” soup that can be made in under 15 minutes. You know for those days when it’s cold, damp and you crave something warm and a little spicy.
What You Need:
- I packet dry rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large shallot finely diced
- 3 stalks chopped lemongrass
- 2 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock (or veg stock if going down the vegan route)
- 4 kefir lime leaves
- 1 thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2/3 cooked chicken legs shredded
- 1 lime
- Garnish with fresh basil, coriander, bean sprouts, lime wedge, thinly sliced red onions or scallions.
Let’s Get Cooking:
- Start a pot of boiling water, to cook the rice. Drain and rinse with water to help prevent them from sticking together
- While water is boiling, prep the shallot, garlic, lemongrass, red bell pepper
- Saute the shallot& lemon grass in the coconut oil until golden in colour.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Now add the red curry paste, and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring consistently
- Throw in the coconut milk and rinse the tins adding the water along with the chicken stock & lime leaves
- Once gently simmering add the bell pepper, sugar.
- Add shredded cooked chicken and gently simmer until cooked. Give a squeeze of lime.
- Divide noodles into the bowls and ladle the soup over them.
- Garnish with fresh basil, bean sprouts, thinly sliced red onion, lime wedge, or chopped scallions.